The 10 easiest things you can do to be a winning casino gambler and start winning money at the casino. There are ten easy things you can do right now, that can help you win more money while gambling at the casino, but 99% of you won’t do them and wonder why you lose every time you gamble.
10 STEPS TO BECOMING A WINNING GAMBLER:
1. DON’T DRINK ALCOHOL WHILE PLAYING- this is the biggest mistake made by players. I know I will lose some of you as soon as you read this first tip because you won’t do it. If you want to drink, go to a club or bar but don’t gamble. Trust me, alcohol and gambling don’t mix. Not only will you have a headache the next day, you won’t have any money to buy some aspirin.
2. Only play Blackjack, Video Poker, Sports Betting, Poker (vs. others): stick to these games and you have a chance. All of these games can actually be played with you having an advantage over the casino. If you are a big craps player and can’t stay away, bet the Pass line with full odds. The higher the odds the better.
3. Set your bankroll BEFORE you get to the casino, and don’t have access to additional cash. When you calculate how much to bring make sure you have enough to last most of the trip even if you are losing. If you don’t have enough, limit the number of days your there. You don’t want to be stuck at a casino with no money.
4. Sign-up for a comp or reward card (unless you count cards and want to remain undetected). ALWAYS use it. I can’t tell you how many times I see people not using their card because they think the casino is not letting them win. The casino can’t flip a switch and have the machine not pay. All the programming is inside of the machine and can only be adjusted by the manufacturers. Be sure to learn every benefit they have available, from cash back to bounce back cash to promotions etc. Find out everything that you are entitled to with your points and use it to your advantage, but be careful don’t ever over play your bankroll just for comps.
5. Don’t ever use a credit card for a cash advance. The amount they will charge you is ridiculous. They know you are desperate for money and will pay high rates to get that money. Don’t let them do this to you. Leave all your credit cards at home. Again, establish how much you are going to gamble with BEFORE you get to the casino and stick to it.
6. Limit your session playing time. This is one very few people do and it is important. Depending on what game you are playing you should limit the amount of time you play for any one session. I would recommend for Blackjack to play for only an hour at a time, for video poker at the most 2 hours at a time, preferably 1.5 hours. The reason for this has to do with your focus and concentration. If you are counting cards in blackjack, after an hour you become fatigued and start making mistakes. Even if you are not playing with an advantage stick to these limits. Plan your sessions out before you get to the casino. Your break between sessions doesn’t have to be extremely long, but try to make them at least 30 minutes. Get something to eat, take a nap, whatever just get away from the games.
7. If you are going to play Blackjack, memorize basic strategy and DO NOT deviate from it. Too many times I see people who know the proper move to make but don’t because they “have a feeling.” Basic strategy is the mathematically correct play to make on any given hand. If you don’t believe it do the math yourself. There are many books that will explain the mathematics behind basic strategy. Make your decisions based on math.
“Losing players rely on luck, Winning Players rely on Math”
8. If you are going to play video poker look for a 9/6 Jacks or Better machine to start learning how to play correctly. It’s the easiest machine to start off with. A 9/6 machine means it will pay 9 coins for every coin bet for a fullhouse (45 if playing 5 max coin) and 6 for a flush (30 for 5 max coin.) Look at the paytables. If they only offer 8 for a fullhouse or 5 for a flush, don’t play. Go to another casino. There are plenty of casinos that have 9/6 machines. Also, let the casino know why you are leaving.
9. Don’t be embarrassed to bring a “cheat sheet.” If you can’t remember Blackjack basic strategy bring a chart with you and refer to it. If you don’t know the proper plays for Jacks or Better video poker (Don’t confuse this with knowing how to play because you can’t use common sense to figure out the mathematically correct plays, must be studied and memorized), print off a sheet that ranks each hand.
10. Did I mention DON’T DRINK! Nothing will make you throw all these tips out the window faster than drinking alcohol.
Let me know of any tips you think should have been added to the list.